Our Members > University of Birmingham
The University makes a significant contribution to sustainable development, not only in its role as an globally recognised provider of research and teaching, but also in the way it performs as a business engaging positively with the local and wider community. Whether it’s our environmental policies, research into sustainable energies or our schemes to encourage staff and students to travel more sustainably, sustainability is at the core of the University’s activity.
Working with SWM gives the University of Birmingham an excellent opportunity to improve the reach, influence and impact of our research. It will help us develop not only a more sustainable campus but also contribute to a thriving and environmentally sustainable region.
Our 2020 Strategy details how the activity of the university will feed in to the SWM roadmap, such as:
- contributing to over £1 billion to the local economy;
- playing a key role in HS2 via the largest railway research group in Europe
- transforming healthcare through Birmingham Health Partners;
- changing the built environment on campus (almost £500 million of projects) with a strong sustainability focus; and
- researching the natural environment with the Birmingham Institute of Forest Research, which was funded with a £15 million gift to study the impact of climate and environmental change on woodlands;
- substantial progress made towards delivering our commitment to reduce our carbon foot print by 20% by 2020 based on 2005/06 baseline.