10 March 2022
08:30 – 17:00 to include lunch, refreshments and networking drinks
Millennium Point, Curzon Street, B4 7XG (this will be an in-person event unless Covid-19 related restrictions apply)
If Covid-19 restrictions mean that we can’t hold this event in person, it will be moved to a later date.
Sustainability West Midlands (SWM)
We warmly invite you to join us and 200+ others to celebrate 20 years in the region. The journey hasn’t always been easy for our unique organisation, but we’ve transitioned into a nationally recognised hub for cross sector excellence in sustainability. We hope you can join us as we share the highs and lows of the last two decades, showcase the breadth of innovative solutions coming from our region, and look forward to the next 20 years! The programme for the day is as follows with details being announced over the coming weeks:
Welcome reception (08:30 – 09:30)
Join us in the Atrium for networking drinks and refreshments and enjoy Luke Jerram’s breath-taking Gaia art installation. Gaia aims to create the Overview Effect, but for people standing on Earth. First coined by author Frank White it features the experience that astronauts feel in space. Feelings of awe, an understanding of the interconnection of all life, and a sense of responsibility for taking care of the environment.
Annual conference (09:30 – 13:30)
We move to the Auditorium for our flagship conference, featuring a thought provoking keynote complimented with thoughts from many familiar faces from SWM now and then. Focusing on achievements and challenges associated with our Sustainability Roadmap to 2030, this is an opportunity to learn from others and leave recharged with ideas on how to move forwards with your own sustainability priorities.
Our keynote speaker is Professor Chris Baines, one of the UK’s leading environmental campaigners, and award-winning writer and broadcaster. Chris is Vice President of the Royal Society of Wildlife Trusts and recipient of lifetime achievement medals from the RSPB and the British Association of Nature Conservationists. He has always worked to build creative partnerships between business, government and conservation, and he works with opinion leaders in the water, housebuilding, energy, minerals and ethical investment industries.
Our confirmed panelists include:
- Beverley Nielsen, Executive Director, Institute for Design, Economic Acceleration & Sustainability, BCU
- Clare Ollerenshaw, Associate Director, Accelar
- Delia Garratt, Chief Executive, Wildlife Trust for Birmingham and Black Country
- Jim Davies, Strategic Environmental Planning Lead (Climate Change Adaptation), Environment Agency
- Luke Willetts, Director of Operations, Worcestershire LEP
- Dr. Mohammed Nazir, Founder, Nazir Associates
- Richard Bubb, Associate, Sustainable Housing Action Partnership
- Sandeep Shingadia, Director of Development & Delivery, Transport for West Midlands
Keep an eye on the website for announcements of other contributors, and look out for surprises on the day!
Networking lunch and exhibition (13:30 – 14:30)
Whilst you enjoy your lunch on the Platform you will have the opportunity to network and attend an exhibition and traders showcase featuring numerous SWM members and other key partners across the West Midlands. It all about connections!
Awards presentation (14:30 – 16:00)
We want to showcase your successes and make sure you get the recognition you deserve. What better way to do so than with awards linked to our Sustainability Roadmap to 2030 and categories including resource efficiency; clean and active travel; clean air and water; natural environment; sustainable growth; social equity and health; sustainable energy use; and adapting to climate change. Thank you to our award sponsors:
- Adapting to Climate Change (sponsored by SustainIQ)
- Clean & Active Travel (sponsored by Transport for West Midlands)
- Clear Air & Water (sponsored by CREST – Centre for Research into Environmental Science and Technology)
- Natural Environment (sponsored by Groundwork West Midlands)
- Resource Efficiency (sponsored by Accelar)
- Social Equity & Health (sponsored by The Binding Site)
- Sustainable Energy Use (sponsored by Bryt Energy)
- Sustainable Growth (sponsored by the University of Warwick)
Networking drinks (16:00 – 17:00)
After a day celebrating success in the region, please join us and relax with a drink and networking with colleagues. Cheers!
Registration for this event has now closed. If you would like to attend, please email our Office Manager, Shabnum Hudda at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have opportunities available to meet every budget, including headline sponsorship, a media package, exhibition stands and trader spots. Please contact Julie Pope (email@example.com) to discuss your interest in sponsorship.
Supporters and sponsors
We are incredibly grateful to our supporters and sponsors for making our birthday party happen: