Business Engagement Manager (AMCASH) – Research Support Services – Job Opportunity
Job: Specialist/Professional Fixed Term Contract up to 31st December 2022
Organization: Finance Office
Schedule: Temporary – Full-time
Grade: Grade 8
Salary (Pay Basis): £41,526 – £49,553.00 (With potential progression once in post to £55,750)
Closing date: 5 January 2020
This post will be part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund.The Business Engagement Manager will inspire Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) within the five Local Enterprise Partnership areas (Greater Birmingham & Solihull LEP, Black Country, Coventry & Warwickshire, The Marches and Stoke-on-Trent & Staffordshire) to engage with the part ERDF funded Advanced Materials Characterisation and Simulation Hub (AMCASH) project. The successful candidate will work with senior executives within manufacturing SMEs to develop their understanding of how step changes to their products and processes can be delivered through the application of innovative research at the University of Birmingham. The Business Engagement Manager will stimulate demand from SMEs to access the University’s expertise across its portfolio in Materials and Metallurgy science. Stimulating SME demand for the University’s research will ensure on-going project success through knowledge transfer activities to ensure ERDF deliverable targets are met.This will be achieved through:
- Promotion and delivery of business seminars, workshops, practical demonstrations, e-marketing and other promotional material focused on informing SMEs of the objectives of the AMCASH project.
- Understanding the issues faced by regional SMEs in accessing the University’s research and identifying where University technology or expertise could benefit their business.
- Supporting senior executives in these SMEs in the development of their internal business cases to justify investment in R&D&I activity with the University
- Providing on-going support to University/SME teams to deliver collaborative projects
Lead business engagement activities and support implementation of knowledge transfer strategy.
- To lead on the development of marketing material and manage the delivery of business seminars, workshops and other events to stimulate demand amongst SMEs for access to the University’s research.
- To provide specialist advice to SMEs to promote business performance improvement strategies, which exploit the University’s knowledge. This will include business development activity engaging with senior executives to formulate strategies based on advanced technologies to provide step changes in the SMEs output.
- In collaboration with the University Business Engagement Partners to develop, manage and maintain client relationships with relevant SMEs ensuring that appropriate technical solutions are identified with the potential to meet the clients’ needs.
- To lead on the maturation of business opportunities to the point where collaborative knowledge transfer projects may be launched.
- To contribute to teams monitoring collaborative projects, providing on-going support to University-SME partnerships
Deliver Business Engagement Outputs
- To work with the University Business Engagement Partners and the AMCASH Project Manager in the delivery of business engagement activity.
- To lead on the delivery of events each calendar year.
- To attend and report at both internal and external events/meetings, where appropriate.
- To lead on the development and negotiation of knowledge transfer projects.
- To lead on the support of University/SME collaborative projects.
- To ensure that business demands and other ERDF output measures are accurately recorded and evidence provided to the Project Manager and the ERDF customer.
Support the AMCASH leadership to deliver the project and ensure sustainability of SME engagement
- To provide business development expertise to the AMCASH project and its partners to contribute to the overall management of partner relationships.
- To develop an active interest in UoB services amongst SMEs and other potential users.
- To develop interest and understanding in the University’s R&D capabilities, brokering relationships between SMEs and UoB academic & technical staff to enable the effective delivery of R&D interventions.
- To provide advice on the applicability of University R&D capabilities to address relevant future market and client specific issues involving the identification of sources of funding where appropriate.
- To champion specific offerings from the University, taking responsibility for their development and continuous improvement with respect to meeting market and SME user needs, ensuring business demand data required by ERDF is regularly and consistently available.
- Post holder will be required to line manage the Business Engagement Officer.
- Carry out monthly 1-2-1s to ensure individuals are on target and identify risks earlier on in the project, as well as development opportunities.
- Set and agree 12 monthly objectives.
- Carry out 6 monthly and 12 monthly Performance Development Reviews.
- Undertaking other duties, as necessary and when these arise, as directed.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience Required
- First degree in an engineering or science discipline, or equivalent qualifications.
- Proven experience in a management role and/or technology consulting / industrial / commercial environment with senior level interactions with client organisations, ideally SMEs.
- A proven record of undertaking business development with clearly identifiable contributions to influencing the commercial success of activity.
- Ability to summarise complex issues/concepts and present them appropriately for a range of audiences.
- Ability to plan, manage and prioritise own workload, respond to changing priorities and deliver innovative solutions to deadlines maintaining a consistently high standard of service and meeting client needs.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a multi-functional team.
- Excellent client relationship management and interpersonal skills and an ability to work closely with other people at all levels of seniority, both within and outside of the University.
- Excellent communication skills: oral, written and presentational.
- Able to analyse business needs and identify business solutions utilising a range of technologies, summarising key points to other people at all levels of seniority, both within and outside the AMCASH project.
- Understanding of the higher education research environment, its research functions and markets.
- Understanding of academic research and knowledge transfer practices, funding streams and motivations.
- Understanding and experience of the management, delivery and reporting processes in publicly funded R&D and knowledge transfer programmes.
- Ability to implement processes and identify where processes or procedures might be improved.
- Experience of working in a higher education or research management environment would be a significant advantage