Call Open for Industrial Decarbonisation Challenge Champion to Lead Research and Innovation Centre – Funding Opportunity
As part of the Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund Industrial Decarbonisation Challenge, the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), part of UK Research and Innovation, has opened the call for proposals for a Champion to lead the £19.9m Research and Innovation Centre.
This call is the first stage of the process to fund a Champion to build a multi-disciplinary consortium through a number of workshops and activities over a six month period, bringing together a wide range of stakeholders and developing an agenda for the Research and Innovation Centre. Up to £100k will be available for the Champion to deliver these activities.
The Champion funded through Stage 1 will lead this Centre as Principal Investigator and will act as an ambassador for the wider Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ISCF) Challenge. The remit of the Research and Innovation Centre will include the following:
- Research on multidisciplinary topics relevant to industrial decarbonisation such as carbon capture and storage, hydrogen, gasification, policy, economic analysis and institutional and regulatory analysis
- Knowledge sharing activities across a breadth of industrial clusters stakeholders such as academia, industry and government through workshops, seminars, networking and engagement events
- Managing a flexible fund of £2m to ensure that the Research and Innovation Centre can be agile and respond to research challenges faced by the industrial clusters
- Funding secondments to build a critical mass of individuals who can work across academia and industry and share learning by understanding the research challenges in each environment
- Enhancing links between academia, the industrial clusters and policy makers
- Skills analysis
The Call for a Champion will close on 22 October 2019 with interviews taking place week commencing 11 November 2019 and applicants notified of the decision week commencing 25 November 2019.
The grant start date for this role is 6 January 2020 and the deadline for full ISCF Industrial Decarbonisation Research and Innovation Centre proposal is 6 July 2020. The Industrial Decarbonisation Research and Innovation Centre is due to start on 2 September 2020.
Note, if applicants are not successful in stage 1 to be the Research and Innovation Champion, there is an opportunity for researchers to engage in the shaping of the Centre and to be co-investigators on this proposal at Stage 2.
To find out more and apply for this call, click here.
KTN will be running a webinar with more information for potential applicants from 3-4pm on Tuesday 1st October: click here for more details.