Efficient and sustainable agriculture – Funding Opportunity
UK organisations can apply for a share of up to £20 million for projects to transform how the agrifood sector works with crop and animal-based agricultural systems. The funding is part of the government’s Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund’s transforming food production challenge. It is provided by UK Research and Innovation and delivered through Innovate UK.
The transforming food production challenge is a £90 million government investment that will make it easier for farmers and agricultural businesses to embrace technology and innovation. This £20 million funding competition is one element of the programme, which looks to bring together the agri-food sector with expertise in real-time robotics sensing, data, AI and earth observation. The aim is to transform food production in the UK by encouraging rural growth and creating high-skilled jobs and new export opportunities.
There is £20 million to be shared across 2 types of project:
- productivity solutions, which develop a single intervention within a supply chain or production system
- supply chain solutions, which develop multiple interventions across at least 3 parts of the supply chain, for example:
- beef producers, beef processors and supermarket retailers
- plant breeders, arable producers and food manufacturers
Projects should focus on one of 2 themes, to:
- drive productivity and improve environmental outcomes in crop and ruminant production systems
- develop new, highly efficient, high-value production systems that maximise productivity and improve environmental performance
This could include:
- combining digital technologies and engineering solutions with biological, environment or social science to improve productivity
- developing technologies and systems that connect farms and supply chains
- transferring an innovative technology from another sector into agriculture
The deadline for applications is 24 October and full technical details of the opportunity are here.