Government unveils path to sustainable farming from 2021
Plans to deliver a better, fairer farming system in England have been set out by government today. They will transform the way we support farmers, in the most significant change to farming and land management in 50 years.
The roadmap outlines changes that will come into force over a period of seven years to help farmers adapt and plan for the future. The changes will be designed to ensure that by 2028, farmers in England can sustainably produce healthy food profitably without subsidy, whilst taking steps to improve the environment, improve animal health and welfare and reduce carbon emissions.
The key changes include:
- Introducing the Environmental Land Management scheme.
- Investing in improving animal health and welfare.
- Direct Payments will be reduced fairly, starting from the 2021.
- Launching a Farming Investment Fund, which will support innovation and productivity.
- Simplifying and improving existing schemes and their application processes.
For more information, please click here.