The software is online!
Hotmaps is a GIS-based online software that supports authorities and energy planners to set up a strategic heating and cooling plan for their region. The first version of the tool is now available at www.hotmaps.eu. Our developers will continue to improve it and add new calculation modules for heating and cooling planning until the end of the project life.
Main features of the Hotmaps toolbox
The toolbox allows the user to:
- identify the location of current heating and cooling demand as well as supply on a map for EU28;
- identify renewable energy potential to supply heating and cooling for a selected area;
- identify waste heat potential from industrial facilities within a selected area;
- estimate the potential for efficient district heating options within a selected area;
- estimate and compare the costs of individual heating vs. district heating options within a selected area;
- develop scenarios for decarbonisation pathways of heating and cooling.
While using the toolbox…
Have a look at this additional support material:
- The Hotmaps brochure: it explains what strategic heat planning is and how the toolbox helps to perform it. You will also find examples from the pilot areas experience.
- The Hotmaps Handbooks for strategic heat planning.
Free trainings availableThe Hotmaps team is offering several trainings for free to local authorities and other stakeholders interested in the tool.
These one-day-and-half trainings are a unique opportunity to learn how to develop heating and cooling scenarios for the area of your choice.
Access and contribute to HotmapsEveryone can access and contribute
to Hotmaps! The toolbox is fully open for the public, as well as the source code. The default data sets is available for download. If you want to contribute to with code or data you are very welcome. Learn more here