An exciting opportunity has arisen for an officer to join the Climate Change Programme team and help tackle one of the biggest challenges of our time.
This position is focused on championing the importance of the natural environment in supporting both climate change mitigation and adaptation, taking a key role in helping us achieve our goals of the council becoming net carbon zero by 2030 and the wider borough by 2041. It is an opportunity to turn words into action, to drive meaningful change in the borough and to make a significant impact on our residents’ lives.
You will take an active role in supporting colleagues across the council to maximise the opportunities to protect and enhance our natural environment, working with a range of stakeholders and partners to identify opportunities for biodiversity enhancement and carbon offsetting.
Applicants are expected to have a strong background in climate change and nature conservation, with a passion for conserving our natural environment. Candidates will also need to demonstrate their experience of developing and implementing environmental schemes in relation to climate change mitigation and adaptation. Ideally, you should also have some experience of policy development and of influencing and working with officers at a senior level. Strong evidence of working with a wide range of departments and stakeholders in a complex project environment is desirable.
You must have:
- A recognised degree/diploma in applied ecology/environmental science/biological science or other related discipline
- A minimum of 3 years relevant experience
- Knowledge of how the natural environment supports climate change outcomes
- Familiarity with relevant environmental policy and legislation
- A specific climate change/sustainability degree/diploma/qualification
- Experience identifying and securing funding for climate/environmental projects