Location: Joseph Priestley Building
Salary: £36,421 to £39,591 per annum
Post Type: Full Time
Release Date: 27 July 2023
Closing Date: 23.59 hours BST on Thursday 17 August 2023
Interview Date: Wednesday 06 September 2023
The Estates & Facilities department of Birmingham City University (BCU) seeks to recruit an experienced, enthusiastic, and self-motivated person to undertake the role of Environmental Officer. The post provides an exciting opportunity to lead on a range of environmental initiatives in a large and diverse organisation.
BCU recognises environmental sustainability as a core commitment in its Strategy 2025 and is committed to embedding it at the heart of what they do. The Environmental Officer will support the development and delivery of BCU’s Environmental Plan, fulfilling the University’s Environmental Policy commitments and driving continuous improvement in their environmental performance.
- help to maintain BCU’s ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System;
- lead on the development and delivery of the University Travel Plans;
- lead on the development and delivery of a Biodiversity Action Plan;
- manage environmental communications including their Environmental Champions network and run training and engagement programmes to students and staff;
- deliver initiatives to reduce the University’s environmental impacts.
The post involves regular contact with members of staff, students, consultants, Local Authority, Environmental Government Agencies, and contractors.
The successful candidate will have:
- demonstrable experience of working with Environmental Management Systems (EMS) such as ISO 14001;
- excellent communication, organisation and interpersonal skills;
- experience of developing and managing a range of environmental projects, monitoring progress and performance, and delivering outcomes according to agreed targets, timescales and budgets;
- the ability to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplined team, managing a diverse workload.
If you would like an informal discussion about this role, please email Deborah Phelpstead, Environmental Manager, on Deborah.Phelpstead@bcu.ac.uk.