Job Opportunity: Volunteer Society Secretary at Chase Community Solar Limited
Chase Community Solar Limited (CCS) is a community benefit society owned and run by its members and volunteers. It owns and operates solar PV systems on the roofs of 314 bungalows owned by Cannock Chase District Council; these it had installed in 2015 with £1M raised by means of a community share offer and an ethical loan.
CCS is looking for a Society Secretary to join the Board of Directors. This is a volunteer role. It is estimated the position requires an average of around 3 hours a week, though the actual time varies greatly from one week to another.
In summary, the Secretary is responsible for:
- upholding the requirements of the governing document and legislation relating to community benefit societies;
- organising, attending, and taking minutes of, quarterly Board meetings and annual general meetings 1;
- ensuring the timely and accurate submission of the Annual Return to the Financial Conduct Authority;
- performing administrative tasks and keeping records;
- liaising with our administrative contractor to carry out the above-mentioned responsibilities;
Board meetings are currently held on a Tuesday morning.
There will be opportunities to get involved in other aspects of their work and any future projects if wished. The position is unremunerated, though expenses incurred can be reclaimed.
- a good knowledge of governance of an organisation;
- competent at producing minutes;
- good organisational and communication skills and an eye for detail;
- an ability to work as part of a team.
It would also be an advantage to have:
- some knowledge of what a community benefit society is and how it differs from a company;
- experience of hosting Zoom on-line meetings.
- An interest in renewable energy, reducing CO2 emissions, and/or creating benefit for the community.
Applicants should submit a one-page CV with a covering letter to Andrea Simpson at email@example.com