Midlands Energy Hub release summary of energy strategies
The Midlands Energy Hub have released a document summarising the energy strategies across the Midlands area. There are nine LEPS in the Midlands region, with six single-LEP energy strategies and one Tri-LEP energy strategy. These energy strategies for the Midlands are ambitious; their aim is to lay out how the decarbonisation of their respective LEP areas can be achieved while meeting future demand. If the ambitions of the LEPS, as laid out in their energy strategies, are met the regional economy could grow four times faster than the average growth for the UK’s overall economy.
While the Midlands Energy Strategies vary in approach there are common themes throughout, including:
– Secure, affordable, low carbon & renewable energy
– Decarbonisation of heat
– Energy Storage
– Energy efficiency & renewable energy generation in existing & new build commercial and domestic properties
– Commercial and residential development in grid constrained areas
– Sustainable transport systems
– Smart energy systems
– A lean, resilient clean growth economy
– Local economic growth and employment
– Fuel Poverty reduction
– Increasing grid capacity
– Developing the low carbon supply chain
Some of the Energy Strategies identify some very specific projects, while others have taken a broader approach outlining potential areas of work to enable greater flexibility in approach, which is often required around developing energy projects and the associated evolving technologies that are to be implemented.