Nature for Climate Peatland Grant Scheme
The Nature for Climate Peatland Grant Scheme (NCPGS) provides funding to restore peatlands in the uplands and lowlands of England. It is a competitive grant scheme that will run until 2025. The scheme is open to environmental groups, local authorities, charities, public bodies, individual landowners and organisations.
Natural England is looking for landscape scale applications that work to restore the whole hydrological unit of a peatland. This is likely to involve a number of sites and landowners, so applications from partnerships are encouraged.
You must be able to show in your application how your proposal will deliver the scheme’s objectives:
- reduce emissions from peat by 9 megatonnes of carbon dioxide equivalents cumulatively by 2050
- establish the process of restoring 35,000 hectares of degraded peat in England by March 2025
- provide wider benefits such as improved ecosystems and biodiversity, better water quality, natural flood management, protection of historic environment features, and connecting people with nature
Two types of grant are available:
- restoration grant – the first round is open for applications from 30 April 2021 to 25 June 2021
- discovery grant – the first round will open for applications at a date to be confirmed