Net Zero Policy Papers Published
The Government have published two policy papers regarding Net Zero: Transitioning to a net zero energy system: smart systems and flexibility plan 2021 and Digitalising our energy system for net zero: strategy and action plan.
The Smart Systems and Flexibility Plan, developed by the government and Ofgem in coordination with the energy sector, sets out a vision, analysis and suite of policies to drive a net zero energy system. Smart technologies and flexibility are essential to integrating low carbon power, heat and transport onto the system.
The Plan has 4 key areas of focus:
- support flexibility from consumers
- remove barriers to flexibility on the grid
- reform markets to reward flexibility
- monitor flexibility across the system
The Energy Digitalisation Strategy, developed by the government, Ofgem and Innovate UK in coordination with the energy sector, sets out a vision and suite of policies to digitalise the energy system. Digitalisation will enable millions of low carbon assets, including solar PV, electric vehicles and heat pumps, to be optimised across our energy system.
The strategy has 3 key areas of focus:
- providing leadership and coordination
- ensuring regulation and policies incentivise digitalisation
- collaborating with the sector to develop digital tools and infrastructure
It aims to spur innovation and competition, facilitate new consumer offers, and reduce the cost of decarbonising the energy system.