RegenWM Prize winners announced
The Prizes evening, which was held at RegenWM’s Millennium Point offices in Birmingham on 10 November, recognised many organisations, with each winner receiving a certificate and £1000 towards their project.
The winners were:
- Best Regeneration Team – Hereford Council’s Economic and Community Services Team
- Creating Outstanding Places – Fazeley Studios, Wolverhampton Youth Space and Blue Planet at Chatterley Valley
- Environment and People – ‘Our Low Carbon Journey’ led by Whittington and Fisherwick Environment Group
- Good Practice in Equality and Diversity – ‘Increasing Opportunities’
- Most Transferable Good Practice – ‘Connection to Opportunities’ run by East Birmingham and North Solihull Regeneration Zone
- Successful Community Engagement – ‘Goodbye to Summer’ Lantern Parade in North Lichfield
Sustainability West Midlands sponsored the Environment and People category. The winner was ‘Our Low Carbon Journey’ Whittington and Fisherwick Environment Group (WFEG).
RegenWM said the following about WFEG, “An organisation in South Staffordshire is proving that ‘people power’ can really help to tackle climate change after its membership rose to 200 and its list of successful projects continued to grow.
Whittington and Fisherwick Environment Group (WFEG) was established in 2007 to help the 1200-strong household parish to understand how they can lower their carbon footprint.
Practical projects already delivered include a light bulb library with over 20 different types of low energy light bulb, a series of energy audits, the first community online carbon footprinting facility and assistance to secure funding for energy saving improvements.
The latter has already seen insulation improvements to the village hall, doctor’s surgery, church hall and pavilion, with annual carbon savings of over 40,000kg alone.
What the judges say: ‘This is grass roots involvement at its very best and the sharing of good practice should be praised wholeheartedly.'”
See SWM’s case study on Whittington and Fisherwick Environment Group for more information.