Now in its second year, the Architecture Department at Birmingham City University will again be delivering the Climate Literacy for Sustainable Futures Bootcamp Program, on behalf of the WMCA.
This is a 14-week holistic training course providing a diverse understanding of the current challenges relating to sustainability and climate action.
This Bootcamp will provide you with new skills, knowledge, and a holistic understanding of climate literacy, as highly valued assets in the Net-Zero era.
Sessions are guided by the UN Sustainability Development Goals (UNSDGs) as you apply the learning process as a framework to a professional or personal project.
What’s Covered in this Course?:
With the rapid shift required to meet the zero-carbon agenda, design professionals with the requisite skills, knowledge and climate literacy are highly valued by employers.
The course will provide solid grounding in the central tenets of the UNSDGs combined with established design processes by the Design Council, as you develop leadership skills in Climate Literacy including:
- Introduction to Climate literacy
- Systems thinking for sustainable change
- Sustainable cities: infrastructures and systems
- Circular economy principles
- Sustainable materials and Carbon footprinting
- Design for biodiversity and healthy green spaces
- Net Zero, low carbon, and the whole carbon life cycle
- Social and environmental justice
- Leading sustainable change
The course has been designed by leading academics, delivering a theory-based series of nine day-long sessions, spread over 14 weeks.
You will attend seminars and presentations delivered by renowned experts at the Birmingham City University campus alongside offsite visits to businesses and organisations delivering the best sustainable practices across the city.
There will be guided learning to help apply the latest strategies, information, and processes to develop an environmental and sustainable plan applicable to your own working environment.
Please note that use of a laptop will be required.
Essential Entry Requirements:
- Meet the Department for Education’s Skills for Life eligibility requirements
- GCSE English language and mathematics at grade C / 4 or above
- Equivalent level 2 or above qualifications can be accepted
- Must have been achieved at the point of enrolment
- Be in employment or self-employment on the date of enrolment
Employers who wish to upskill their personnel using the Skills Bootcamp programme will be charged dependent on business size:
- SME (10%): £345
- Large organisation (30%): £1,035
The remainder will be funded by the Department for Education.
If you are a self-employed learner, the course will be free of charge.
Start date: 01 December 2023
- Nine day-long sessions over 14 weeks. The teaching days are Friday and Saturday beginning on 01-02 December 2023, with subsequent sessions being held on 12-13 January, 2-3 February, 23 February, and 15-16 March 2024
- Sessions are recorded and accessible for additional learner throughout the course
- Access to on campus labs and support
- Location: Curzon Building, City Centre campus, Birmingham City University
Please email email@example.com if you would like more details.