The LGA’s Sustainability Masterclass courses will provide participants with a carbon literacy accreditation, enabling them to make informed decisions about carbon reduction.
Are you a councillor or council officer who has responsibility for delivering your council’s ambitions for delivering net zero, climate adaptation or biodiversity targets?
Sign up for one of the LGA’s Sustainability Masterclasses to learn how you can take meaningful action and become carbon literacy accredited, with plenty of opportunities for collaboration, discussion, and support.
The courses have been developed and tailored to two audiences:
This could include but is not limited to Leaders, Deputy Leaders, Portfolio holders and scrutiny chairs.
Senior Council Officers:
This is aimed at but not limited to housing, economic growth, planning, finance, climate, biodiversity, and procurement officers. They also may include Directors and Chief Executives of councils.
Each cohort has a maximum capacity of 35 attendees, if your chosen date is fully booked you will be allocated a space on a waitlist, and will be notified as soon as a space becomes available.
It is also imperative that participants attend BOTH sessions in order to receive carbon literacy accreditation.
If you are unable to attend both days, please do not sign up as this may prevent others from participating and you will not receive accreditation.
Sign up to the 2024 Sustainability Masterclasses Courses:
What to expect:
Each masterclass will:
- provide participants with the opportunity to become carbon literacy accredited
- offer a different perspective on sustainability to provide understanding into various methodologies and practical guidance to support replication and scaling of notable sustainability practices.
This programme will help senior council officers and councillors to explore their crucial local leadership role in responding to the climate emergency.
During the course, you’ll commit to two carbon reducing actions. These actions will be evaluated by the Carbon Literacy Project for you to be certified as Carbon Literate, enabling you to train others in your area of work.
The course is aimed at senior officers and councillors across council services and will look to provide skills and knowledge that will enable you to embed good practice concerning climate change, carbon literacy, adaptation, green finance and environmental sustainability within your teams and departments.
Sustainability masterclasses are open to English councillors and council officers, free of charge.
Councils taking part in the Sustainability masterclasses will benefit from:
- helping to explore the crucial local leadership role in responding to the climate emergency, green finance, carbon net zero and adaptation
- exploring levers for councils to reduce carbon emissions projects
- providing opportunities for councillors to work together to learn from each other’s experiences
- equipping those who attend the training to train others in their council and local area on the climate emergency.
Who are the masterclasses for? What are the expectations for delegates?:
The virtual sustainability masterclasses are aimed at councillors and council officers working on sustainability activities at councils in England, who:
- have the capacity to undertake the training, which will include a commitment to attending the masterclass and completing satisfaction surveys afterwards
- are willing to share your learning and experiences from the programme within your own council and with other councils across the country
- will contribute positively to all the sessions and workshops.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.