SWM Volunteer Opportunity – Communications Officer
We are recruiting for a Volunteer Communications Officer to join our small but growing team.
Closing date: 30 April 2018
Interviews: 10 May 2018
Volunteer Communications Officer
Reports to: Chief Executive
Location: Sustainability West Midlands, hosted by Groundwork UK(B1 2RR)
Duration of post: Three months (June – August 2018)
Part-time role: 3 days a week, with flexibility on pattern of working
Salary band: Voluntary (travel expenses paid within West Midlands)
Other benefits: Commitment to training and development, canal side offices with easy access to city centre
Sustainability West Midlands
Sustainability West Midlands is the sustainability adviser for the leaders of the West Midlands. We are the sustainability champion for the West Midlands as designated by government. Our customers like our independence, our role as a hub of cross-sector good practice networks, and our drive to deliver a clear vision to create a better West Midlands. 2 We are a not-for-profit company that works with our members in the business, public and voluntary sectors. Our Board is private sector led with cross-sector representation; and is supported by our team of staff and associates. We are committed to developing our staff to help grow the organisation and deliver our vision.
- Research and write items for the website and newsletter including news stories, funding opportunities, events, report reviews and case studies
- Contribute to the planning and coordination of events, exhibitions and projects
- Contribute to social media including Twitter
- Attend seminars, workshops & training to develop relevant knowledge and skills.
- General office administration
This volunteer placement is designed to aid the successful candidate in progressing to paid employment within the sustainable development sector. The successful candidate will ideally possess some or all of the following attributes demonstrable in their experience of studying, membership of clubs or extracurricular activities, or previous work experience:
- ICT and use of Office products (Word, Excel, Powerpoint & Outlook)
- Ability to use or learn web content management systems such as wordpress, and other relevant online and social media tools such as Mailchimp and Twitter
- Knowledge of/interest in sustainability issues
- Knowledge of/interest in communication methods
- Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external audiences in writing and verbally
- Ability to make own decisions, use initiative and work as part of a team
- Ability to bring creative ideas to SWM’s communications
For more information, download the application pack. If you would like an informal discussion about the role contact Anna Bright at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0121 237 5890.
To apply please send a covering letter and your CV as one electronic document of no more than 4 sides of A4 in total.
In your covering letter please set out:
- Your contact details
- Where you heard about this opportunity
- Why you want to be considered for the role
- How you meet the essential criteria of experience, knowledge and skills
In your CV please set out the supporting information for your covering letter which includes:
- Education and qualifications
- Current employment / role and salary (if applicable)
- History of relevant employment and non-paid work
- Two references – which we will contact if you are successful at interview
Please send your covering letter and CV to email@example.com by Friday 16 September 2016.