Residents from across the Midlands were today urged to sign up for free training to learn how to cut their bills and their carbon emissions as part of a unique pilot project.
The Fit for the Future project is hosting six sessions during the next two months as part of a campaign to train 600 residents on energy conservation in 2010.
There are also up to 20 jobs, targeted at those aged 18 to 24, as paid Community Climate Change Champions available for people to carry the message out into the neighbourhoods where they live.
The Climate Change Champions are being employed by Groundwork Trust West Midlands through the Future Jobs Fund. The roles are open to anyone who has been out of work for 6 months.
Since the unique £200,000 project was launched in February it has already delivered 6 workshops and trained more than 60 people. An interactive website offering advice, hints, tips and views about Going Green has also been set up at the.
The Fit for the Future campaign, backed by Advantage West Midlands, aims to help the Midlands region develop its role as an economic hub of green technology.
It is being delivered by the Accord Group in partnership with two other housing associations, Family and Black Country, and contractor Mears. The project is also being backed by the Energy Saving Trust and Sandwell Homes.
Kally Bhatti, project co-ordinator, said: “The courses are proving really popular and people are coming forward every day. It’s an ideal way to improve your skills, develop your CV and learn about how to save money in the home.”
The 2 hour courses are being run at the following locations in the morning and afternoon, unless otherwise stated:
- 22nd March – Jervis Court, Dog Kennel Lane, Walsall
- 13th April – Moseley & District Churches Housing Association Head Office, 106 Alcester Road, Moseley, Birmingham
- 20th April – Fry Housing Trust Head Office, 43 Rowley Village, Rowley Regis, West Midlands
- 11th May – AM workshop – Ashram Housing Association and bchs Head Office, Fairgate House, 205 Kings Road, Tyseley,
- 11th May PM workshop – Ghulab Ashram scheme, 18 Whisley Brook Lane, Acocks Green, Birmingham
- 18th May – Ribbon Court Extra Care Scheme , 689 Foleshill Road, Foleshill, Coventry
For further details about how to register for courses, contact Laura Guest, tel: 0121 568 7070 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.