Young Champions of the Earth 2020 – Funding Opportunity
What makes a Young Champion of the Earth?
Our environment is under stress and the evidence is everywhere. It’s in the air we breathe, the food we eat and the water we drink. It’s in our soils, rivers, oceans and atmosphere. Some call it the defining challenge of our time.
The question is: What are you doing about it? Now more than ever, those of us who care for the natural world must stand up and be counted. Whether you’re an activist, educator, innovator or artist, we need you to challenge the status quo and fight for the health of our planet and its people.
If you have a powerful idea to protect or restore the environment; if you have a strong track record of instigating change; if you are unafraid of failure; and if you believe in a bright future for our planet, then you just might have what it takes to become a Young Champion of the Earth.
In the first stage of the selection process, all applications will be judged by United Nations experts according to the following criteria:
- The 3 Ps – The positive impact your big idea could have on the environment (planet), society (people) and its financial viability (prosperity).
- The 3 Cs – Evidence that you are a curious, courageous and colourful individual.
- Demonstrated commitment – It is important that you have already attempted to implement your big idea for at least six months and can outline achievements and developments to date.
- Endorsement – The strength of your referee’s recommendation.
The selection process has three rounds:
- The open call for applications will run until 10 April 2020. Each applicant will be required to submit responses to a series of questions and upload a referee’s letter of endorsement.
- Finalists drawn from every world region will be shortlisted and requested to submit short videos pitching their big ideas.
- In the final stage, a Global Jury will review the finalists’ big ideas and choose seven Young Champions of the Earth. The winners will be publicly announced and invited to attend the Champions of the Earth award ceremony.
The winners will be expected to implement their big ideas and act as ambassadors of cause at speaking opportunities, while providing regular progress updates in the form of videos and blogs that will be shared on this website.