This is a unique, full-time, paid opportunity to build a mission-led business from scratch on the Zinc Venture Builder.
Zinc is seeking 70 extremely ambitious, talented individuals from across the globe who want to build businesses to improve the health of people and the planet.
The 12-month, full-time Venture Builder starts in person in Zinc’s London HQ, from October 2023. Will you rise to the challenge and join them?
The Mission: Healthy Environments
The founders joining this cohort will be focused on eliminating environmental threats to our health. Are you ready to change your future and the future of millions of people around the globe? Ready to make a massive impact on the health of the planet and on millions of people? There is a lot at stake and big challenges to overcome. But the potential rewards, both commercial and impact, are enormous.
What makes a successful Zinc co-Founder?
- You have the ambition and drive to build a scalable commercial business that has massive impact on the mission problem;
- You have the capability to bring exceptional skills, expertise, networks and insights;
- You have an entrepreneurial appetite for huge risk taking and the ability to go from 0-1 and power on to 100x.
Zinc are excited to work with founders with a burning desire to make change happen. Become part of a cohort of diverse, driven, hand-picked individuals who are passionate about improving the health of people and the planet, and find your co-founder.
Sound like you? Zinc offer places on a rolling basis which means that spaces become increasingly limited as time goes on. They strongly recommend applying as early as possible to avoid disappointment or if you have a long notice period for your current role.
Zinc is an early-stage investor. They back Founders who want to build a new mission-driven business, even if they don’t yet have a team or an idea. They support the Founders to build brand new commercial businesses by providing access to co-founders, investment, experts, in-house R&D support and a proven process to launch a new venture.
Since 2017, Zinc have backed almost 300 entrepreneurs and supported them in building over 60 brand-new ventures from scratch.
Zinc back individual founders, not teams or existing businesses. This means you could join without a business plan and even without an idea. They welcome first-time Founders as well as experienced entrepreneurs as the Venture Builder is for everyone who can bring their expertise and experience to build solutions.
Diversity leads to out-performing teams and better innovation. Zinc’s diverse cohorts of founders from commercial, technical, domain and creative backgrounds come from all over the world with over 30 nationalities represented, 50% women and 40% international founders.
Background & Experience:
To join this cohort, you will have impressive skills, insights and experience in at least one of the following four domains:
- Health: Dealing with diseases that are caused by or aggravated by environmental problems: Clinicians, Bio-scientists, Digital health specialists, Chemists, Public health professionals
- Environment: Addressing environmental problems that cause or aggravate poor health through working in: Soil & food, Water supply and quality, Climate change, Biological threats, Air quality, Built environment, Transport
- Technical background/engineering: Designing and building technologies and products: Software engineers, Data scientists & ML/AI, Mechanical and electrical engineers, Civil engineers, Product designers, Product managers
- Building Businesses: Creating and growing new businesses: Serial entrepreneurs, Sales & Business Development, Marketing, Start-up veterans, Operations, Supply chain, Investors
If you want to apply but have accessibility issues, caring commitments or other concerns, please do get in contact.
When Zinc backs a founder to build a business, you receive up to £250,000 in funding. This breaks down as:
- £13,200 stipend across the first 6 months per founder
- £80,000 first investment for any company that they decide to back
- ~£150,000 follow on investment in the company’s seed round
In addition to funding, you also gain:
- Access to co-founders who are fully committed to starting a venture right now and equally motivated to solve the same mission that is driving you
- In-house R&D team to guide you to build your evidence-backed business, from sessions and workshops with Zinc’s product and science specialists, to guidance with user testing, academic opportunities and research funding
- Working with over 100 Visiting Fellows who have expertise in the mission area, business, product, marketing, engineering and design, and more, who have committed to support this mission and its Founders
- Introductions to early stage funders (angels, VCs, grant-givers)
- Tailored support to develop your knowledge of building a successful mission-driven business from scratch, with specialist workshops, talks and demonstrations, as well as executive coaching and a dedicated Zinc team venture partner
- Workspace in Zinc’s central London headquarters
- Portfolio support for the first 3 years of the new business post the Venture Builder phase
Places are offered on a first come first serve, rolling basis, so you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to make the cohort. Apply today!
The next Zinc Venture Builder focused on eliminating environmental threats to our health will begin in October 2023. Zinc highly recommend interested candidates to attend one of their Meet & Greets before applying to learn more about them, what it takes to be a successful Zinc Founder, and have any questions answered by the team – sign up here.
The next application deadlines are:
- Thursday 10th August at midnight (BST) – if you are keen to make the cohort, apply by this deadline
- Monday 28th August at midnight (BST) – limited spots are available by this time so if you are interested in applying, make sure to submit your application by this deadline
Zinc run rolling admissions and Venture Builder places close as Founder places are allocated. Their advice is to submit your application as early as possible to give you the best chance of making the cohort.