The Civil Contingencies Unit, in partnership with Staffordshire County Council have led a series of classroom workshops to educate students on the risks involved in a flood situation, and how they can prepare themselves and those around them. More >
Resources > Good Practice Examples
Displaying Good Practice Examples in the location: Telford and Wrekin
The project included a unique partnership of four government organisations, two non-government organisations, one water company, one university, sixteen community groups and an industry lead environmental group, who worked together to address issues with water quality across Telford More >
The SNSC is a £48 million programme across the West Midlands aimed at cutting carbon, supporting economic growth and connecting residents to jobs. More >
In 2013, thirteen museums began a journey to a more sustainable future through the ‘Reducing Bills: Going Green’ programme. More >
This study looks at lessons from a scheme that helped residents of a UK neighbourhood to make their community more environmentally sustainable and adaptable to change. More >
The severe flooding event in Cornwall in November 2010 was noted as the worst flooding in decades. Flash floods hit in the middle of the night, leaving many people trapped in their homes and cars. In the space of a just few hours, two and a half inches of rain fell. Due to the topography of the area, small picturesque villages were swamped underneath 6ft of water during this period of intense rainfall. Scores of residents had to be rescued by the RAF, police and the fire service in hope of being relocated to emergency accommodation. The intensity of the flash flooding caused major disruption to the region’s infrastructure, and in some villages, properties were subjected to ten inches of water. More >
This case study summarises the work Midcounties undertook with UKCIP to plan how to adapt to climate change using the methodology outlined in the UKCIP Adaptation Wizard. More >
Ricoh UK Products Limited (RPL) is a subsidiary of Ricoh Japan, the world’s leading manufacturer of office automation equipment.
Established in 1984, the company manufactures photocopiers and consumables utilising its 2050 Plan and People Planet Profit (3-P’s) sustainability principles. These pillars of sustainability exemplify employee engagement, environmental impact reduction / resource conservation, and cost reduction/ revenue generation, which are fundamental to business continuity. More >
Completed in 2009 St Luke’s is a 2 form entry school with community facilities. The building is designed to achieve a very high standard of sustainability, including very low energy consumption, sustainably sourced materials and a BREEAM Excellent rating. The project has had an ecological focus throughout the design process, maximizing the use of daylight, natural ventilation and thermal comfort. The building is timber framed construction, utilizing timber cladding and roofing system. More >
From 2004 DENSO established an Environmental Champions group, within the plant, who started looking at reducing raw material use, improving energy conservation, energy reclamation and waste water management.
In 2004, 55 tonnes were going to landfill every month, but within two years they managed to reduce this to zero. As a result of accurate waste classification, DENSO now recycle 94% of all waste produced. The remaining 6% goes for incineration, with some energy recovery, but since 2006 none goes to landfill. Each area of production was challenged to improve their performance and each week it was monitored to determine whether they had made any progress. More >