Midlands Low Carbon Sector Study
SWM and kMatrix Data Services
Project Manager: Anna Bright (SWM Chief Executive)
Overview & Aims
We were commissioned by the Midlands Energy Hub to provide an evidence-based study to understand:
- The current state of the Low Carbon Environmental Goods & Services (LCEGS) Sector in the Midlands
- Where support is needed to help grow this sector
- The role the sector can play in driving a low-carbon recovery from Covid-19.
The study was delivered between November 2020 and March 2021.
The views of a full range of regional stakeholders were sought to complement the quantitative data analysis. Nine focus groups (one for each LEP area) were held in January 2021 and attended by 130 cross-sector delegates. The presentations from each focus group are available here.
A final stakeholder engagement conference on 23 February 2021 attracted over 100 cross sector attendees and the agenda for the session included:
- Overview of the Study: Michael Gallagher, Midlands Energy Hub
- The BEIS Local Energy Perspective: Gary Sturgeon, Local Climate and Energy Team, BEIS
- Latest study findings: Sarah Howard, kMatrix and Anna Bright, SWM
- Discussion session 1: Addressing the challenges
- Business support & skills
- Technology & infrastructure
- Policy & governance
- Midlands Engine View and alignment with forthcoming Green Growth Action Plan
- Discussion session 2: Sub-regional growth and support
The presentations from the event are available here.
Analysis of the LCEGS sector is provided below at LEP and local authority level, along with a Midlands wide summary and Growth Forecast. A COVID-19 Impact Report is also provided.
- Black Country LEP Final Report
- Coventry & Warwickshire LEP Final Report
- D2N2 LEP Final Report
- Greater Birmingham & Solihull LEP Final Report
- Greater Lincolnshire LEP Final Report
- Leicester & Leicestershire LEP Final Report
- Marches LEP Final Report
- Stoke & Staffordshire LEP Final Report
- Worcestershire LEP Final Report
- Midlands Engine Final Report
- Midlands Engine Net Zero Growth Forecast Final Report
- COVID-19 Impact Report
Recommendations based upon extensive stakeholder feedback are provided in the Final Recommendations Report.
A literature review relevant to the LCEGS Sector in each LEP across the Midlands is also available on request. Documents analysed include websites, sector action plans, Local Industrial Strategies, Energy Strategies, Strategic Economic Plans, European Structural and Investment Fund (ESIF) strategies along with other research reports and policy documents. Please contact SWM at email@example.com if you would like a copy.
Sustainability West Midlands have been supporting the Midlands Energy Hub through working with kMatrix to deliver the regionally important Low Carbon and Environmental Goods and Service Sector Report. SWM were given challenging timeframes in which to run sub-regional / LEP level workshops, to engage with public and private sector stakeholders and understand what policy levers the sector needs to flourish and grow. The final workshop was then Midlands wide, with 100 attendees. The workshops were well attend, well run and delivered good results. Michael Gallagher, Regional Energy Projects Manager, Midlands Energy Hub