West Midlands Regional Energy Strategy Engagement Event 6/3/18
Date of presentations
6 March 2018
- Matthew Rhodes, Energy Capital
- Andrew Cripps, AECOM
- Ellie Horwitch-Smith, Greater Birmingham and Solihull LEP
- Sarah Watson, Coventry and Warwickshire LEP
- Filippo Gaddo, Arup
- Jackie Homan, Climate-KIC
Purpose of the presentations
The three LEPs of Coventry and Warwickshire, Greater Birmingham and Solihull and the Black Country, and the West Midlands Combined Authority, are working together through Energy Capital to develop an Energy Strategy for the region.
The strategy will include actions to take forward the recommendations of the Regional Energy Policy Commission, chaired by Sir David King, the work of the Energy Capital partnership in 2017 and consultancy work currently being carried out across the region by Aecom and Arup.
The event was chaired by Matthew Rhodes (Board member GBSLEP and Chair of Energy Capital) who is co-ordinating the strategy development on behalf of the three LEPs. It is being delivered with support from Sustainability West Midlands. It included presentations on the work in progress and encouraged discussion on:
- The preliminary findings of the consultancy studies underway, including areas of investment opportunity and outstanding issues to be addressed
- The concept of Energy Innovation Zones, including initial pilot proposals
- How the West Midlands Energy Strategy will relate to wider regional and national strategies, particularly the industrial strategy and key stakeholder initiatives, such as Western Power Distribution’s transition to a Distribution System Operator project
- The proposed governance and funding structure for implementation of the strategy
This was an opportunity to get involved in shaping working groups and delivery structures in an area which will support key elements of the West Midlands Industrial Strategy.
The outcome of the event informed implementation plans for the Energy Strategy, published on 28 March, with the launch and publication of the report of the Regional Energy Policy Commission.
- Coventry and Warwickshire LEP
- Greater Birmingham and Solihull LEP
- Black Country LEP
- West Midlands Combined Authority
100% of attendees thought the event content was excellent or good and was organised to an excellent or good or excellent standard
88% considered the aims were met to a good standard
Links and Contact Information
For more information contact email@example.com or call 0121 237 5890.