SWM consultation response to UK industrial strategy
Date of the report
Author of the report
Purpose of the report
The purpose of this report is to draw from SWM and our partners, members, and networks experience in the West Midlands to provide evidence to UK policy makers in the development of the UK industrial strategy.
It includes an assessment against the West Midlands Roadmap to a Sustainable Future in 2020.
It will also provide useful strategic context for organisations reviewing or developing their economic strategies within the West Midlands, such as the West Midlands Combined Authority and LEPs.
Our recommendations include:
- Refine the overall objective of the strategy so rather than economic growth being a goal, instead it is supporting overall wider social and environmental goals.
- To assess investment and impact to deliver the UK industrial strategy against the three key headline indicators of productivity GVA measures, carbon reduction and the health inequality gap between the worst and best areas.
- Strengthen the understanding of the future challenges the UK industrial strategy will need to respond to.
- Strengthen the role of resource efficiency and the circular economy within the strategy
- Strengthen the role of the Environmental Goods and Services sector within the strategy as an underlying ‘enabler’
- Include the role of environmental infrastructure within the strategy
- Create a clear national plan and framework for economic development devolution for all parts of England
- There needs to be a clear ‘rebalancing’ economic fund or criteria within existing funds to replace ERDF
- ‘Metro-Mayors’ to have similar access to Ministerial Forum on Economic Growth as devolved nations and continue to drive civil service relocation outside London.
- The role of independent sustainability bodies promoting clusters and networks to drive productivity.
Links and contact information
Please contact SWM on 0121 237 5890 or at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.